You will see a whole bunch of recipes for Bullet Proof coffee floating around on the Internet. And to be honest, we do mix it up a bit by adding in various extra ingredients in our kitchen some mornings.
But the basic Bullet Proof Coffee is a thing of art. All alone. All good.
And that’s what we are going to share with you.
The basic recipe is an easy one. It’s simply (preferably really good) coffee, MCT oil, and unsalted butter or ghee.
There are lots of variations on the theme. But the bare bones basic is simply this:
8 oz of fresh coffee
1-2 Tablespoons MCT oil
1-2 Tablespoons unsalted butter or ghee
There are four ways you can make it.
- You can whip it up in your blender 15-30 seconds until it’s nice and frothy. Or just use the Liquefy setting on your blender if it has automatic settings.
- You can use a little battery-operated frother (my least favorite way to do it because I find it anemic and hard to clean unless you use the frother head on a stick blender).
- You can put it in a Mason jar & use a stick blender with either a whisk attachment or a frother attachment, then pour your concoction into your cup to drink it.
- Or, you can skip the whipping or whisking or frothing part altogether and just stir it like a normal sane person stirs coffee.
Chances are you will do all of these at one point in time or another. And you’ll find your personal sweet spot. But you’ll also find the longer you drink it, the more likely you are to opt for #4.
A full printable version of this recipe is attached to this article.
My personal suggestion is to keep the MCT oil and Butter at 1 Tablespoon a day unless you are highly physically active, an athlete, or are augmenting immunity for a specific reason like you are going through or are recovering from chemotherapy. But the amount is a matter of personal preference. Even a teaspoon of MCT oil added to your daily diet is helpful.
In our recent review of handheld immersion blenders (stick blenders), several of them, including our top pick by Mueller have both a whisk attachment and a frother attachment. The best of these are lightweight, easy to use and clean, and are a tremendously versatile tool in your kitchen.
You can vary the basic recipe by what you add into it.
And of course you don’t have to stick to just one addition. You can mix and match as your heart desires.
You can add a bit of unsweetened Almond Milk or a spoonful of unsweetened whipped cream — which I find easy to make and to keep on hand in a Mason jar the fridge. When heavy cream is whipped it doubles in size, so a tablespoon of whipped cream is really only a teaspoon of cream and the rest is air. But I find the consistency it adds to the Bullet Proof Coffee is unmatched. And it add only minimal calories.
You can also add a bit of plain or flavored Stevia, like Vanilla Stevia or Hazlenut Stevia. Or you can sprinkle a bit of Cinnamon powder or freshly grated Nutmeg on top of your coffee. And for a special treat, you can add a squirt of one of the sugar-free flavored syrups. Our total favorite is Skinny Syrup’s Salted Caramel. And it you want to take it to the next level of health and nutrition, you can make Turmeric Cannon Shield Coffee. Our recipe for that is coming soon.
(You will find links for our favorite sources of healthy add-ins for Bullet Proof Coffee at the bottom of this article.)
What’s so great about Bullet Proof Coffee?
For starters, it is the easiest way I know to get the health benefits of medium-chain triglycerides into your body. That’s what MCT stands for — Medium-Chain Triglycerides.
You can read all about the ways MCT is beneficial for you here. But I’m going to give you my own personal reasons why I drink it every day in addition to that.
I can tell it immediately stabilizes my blood levels in the morning and I get almost instant energy. It satiates me for hours, even if I wake up ravenously hungry.
I also have found that Bullet Proof Coffee with MCT oil in it clears my head much better than coffee alone.
Plus, I’ve found that in combination with a Keto diet, it accelerates weight loss when I lower my carb intake (which is always lower than most people’s but goes down to 20-30 grams of net carbs when I want to lose weight).
- Coffee Making Device of your choice
- (optional) Handheld Immersion Blender with whisk or frother attachment
- (optional) Blender
- 8 oz Good quality hot coffee
- 1-2 Tablespoons MCT Oil preferably non-GMO, organic
- 1-2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter or Ghee preferably organic and cultured
- Make your coffee in the manner you normally do, though perhaps a bit on the strong side of your normal preference.
- Add anywhere from 1 teaspooon to 2 Tablespoons of high-quality MCT oil. Many people start with the lower dosage and work up over a week or two. The typical recommended amount is 1-2 Tablespoons a day. So if you plan on having two cups of coffee, you may put one Tablespoon in each. Or you can do it the lazy way and add two Tablespoons to the first cup and then just add coffee to your cup to maximize the temperature.
- Add an equal amount of butter or ghee.
- Unless you are in a strict weight loss period, you can add a bit of heavy cream, preferably whipped to enrich the consistency. Remember that about half of whipped cream is air so you are getting half of the cream's calories in an equal volume of whipped cream.
- (OPTIONAL) VARIATIONS INCLUDE flavored Stevia of any flavor you wish, sugar-free flavored syprups in any flavor you wish, sprinkled Cinnamon powder, freshly grated Nutmeg, or Cacao powder.
- Either blend in a high speed blender, froth with a frother, whisk with a handheld device, or simply stir well.
- (OPTIONAL) you can finish it with a tiny hint of sweetness by sprinkling the top of your cup with a pinch of granulated Monk Fruit sweetener. A pinch is all it takes to create a sweetness floater.
You can read our recent review on the best MCT oils on the market at the best price here.
And you can read our handy-dandy guide to making the best coffee ever here.
And here are some links to the best prices on our favorite kick-it-up-a-notch additions to Bullet Proof Coffee.
Remember Amazon prices are always subject to change. These prices were in effect at publication time.
So Frenchly is an Amazon Affiliate which means we may make a (small) commission if you purchase something through our webpage.
But it costs you absolutely nothing.
You can read our complete affiliate policy here.
RELATED ARTICLES WE THINK YOU WILL FIND INTERESTING.