Low-carb, gluten-free, and grain-free! This Fresh Strawberry Galette is a sure summer favorite, with or without whipped cream on top.
The French galette is really nothing more than a rustic pie baked flat without a pie pan. It usually is baked with fresh seasonal fruit. The end result tends to be crispier than an American pie with less “filling.” But it is a traditional and wonderfully tasty dish you find all over the countryside across France.
This one, filled with fresh strawberries, is one of my absolute favorites. And we find it perfect for summer — right during the time that local strawberries are at their height.
- baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- FOR THE CRUST:
- 150 g / 1 1/2 cup almond flour or ground almonds
- 70 g / 3/4 cup desiccated coconut unsweetened
- 1 egg large
- FOR THE FILLING:
- 2 cups fresh strawberries (300 grams) stems removed, sliced in half lengthwise
- 3 tbsp granulated Monk Fruit sweetener (42 grams)
- 1 tsp orange zest (2 grams)
- 2 tsp orange juice (10 grams)
- 1 egg beaten, for egg wash
- 1 tbsp sliced almonds (6 grams) to garnish
- powdered Monk Fruit sweetener to dust galette with
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with a sheet of parchment paper or a silicone mat..
- Mix the crust dough into a well mixed ball, Place your pie crust round onto your prepared baking sheet rolled out or pressed down into a 9” round.
- Add the strawberry halves to a medium bowl. Sprinkle the sugar all over the strawberries, along with the orange zest and orange juice. Use a spoon to toss the strawberries in this mixture until they're all coated in the sugar, zest, and juice. Let them marinate for a few minutes.
- Carefully place the strawberry halves down in the center of the pie dough, with their flat sides facing down. Leave a 1.5" to 2" border along the pie dough bare. Once all the strawberries are arranged, grab the bare edges of the dough and fold them inward to partially cover the strawberry arrangement.
- Brush the dough with the beaten egg. Bake the galette for 30 to 40 minutes, until the filling begins to bubble and the pastry is completely golden. Allow the galette to completely cool before serving. When you're ready to serve the galette, sprinkle toasted almonds over the center and dust with powdered sugar.