Yes, it’s Keto. And it is the most delicious torte you can imagine. Chocolate lovers, take note. This Chocolate Fudge Brownie Torte with Toasted Hazlenuts is fabulous.
Ok. Dead honest here. This recipe was a mistake. But it is a great lesson that sometimes mistakes turn out better than if you had not made the mistake.
I found a recipe that looked worth trying and took off for the races. I mean it was chocolate. What can go wrong? Then, after I was already putting everything together I realized I didn’t have quite enough Almond Flour. So I drifted.
And while I was in mid-drift I decided to toast some hazelnuts and add them for a little nuanced flavor. And oh my stars! What a fortuitous mistake.
One thing that drew me to this recipe in the first place is that it is baked in a crock pot. The advantage to that is that in the heat of summer it doesn’t add any heat to your kitchen. So this is a great summer time dessert.
It tastes like a fudgy brownie, only better. And the toasted hazelnuts raise it another octave. A dollop of whipped cream and suddenly you are curbside in Paris.
- Stand mixer or hand held mixer
- Wooden spoon
- Plastic mixer spatula
- 5 qt crock pot, preferably round
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts toasted
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon unsalted butter all but 1 T melted (divided)
- 1 1/4 cup Almond Flour
- 1/4 cup Coconut Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- 3/4 cup Cacao powder (or Cocoa, unsweetened)
- 3/4 cup granulated Monk Fruit sweetener
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 eggs beaten
- 2 teaspoons pure Vanilla extract
- 1 cup whipped cream for serving
- Coarsely chop the hazelnuts by approximately quartering each nut. In a medium pan with no oil or butter, toast the nuts for a few minutes, constantly stirring. Pay attention to the smell. They can burn quickly. You just need to warm them to release the oil for them to be toasted. Set the nuts aside.
- Generously butter the insert crock with 1 tablespoon of butter.
- In a large bowl combine the almond flour, coconut flour, cacao powder, sweetener, baking powder, and salt. Stir together to mix well.
- In a medium bowl or in your stand mixer, whisk together the remaining 1/2 cup of the melted butter, heavy cream, eggs, and vanilla. Blend well.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stire in the hazelnuts, Mix well.
- Pour or spoon the batter into the insert crock and smooth the top as you even out the batter in the crock.
- Cover and cook in the crock pot on low for 3 hours. Then remove the insert crock and let it cool on a rack for one hour.
- Gently go around the edge with a knife to make sure it is pulled away from the sides. Then plate by inverting it.
- Serve warm with whipped cream.
A lot of people wonder what the difference between a torte and a cake are. They are similar. And in fact, a torte is a type of cake. Basically, a torte is a flourless cake.
Cakes are usually made with flour, eggs, and sugar. Tortes, on the other hand are made with ground nuts or nut flours rather than grain flour. They tend to have higher quality and more expensive ingredients, so you see them on menus at restaurants that serve upper-end cuisine. The flavors in a torte are more complex than the typical cake and often richer than cake. Because of that, serving size tends to be smaller.
One of the traditional favorite flavors of torte in France is chocolate hazelnut.