Here is a simple but delicious Classic French recipe for Bayonnaise Sauce — Keto-ized. In English we call this Avocado Oil Mayonnaise.
This is a Keto-rift on the Classic French Bayonnaise Sauce created in southwestern France about 120 miles below the wine region of Bordeaux, right above the border with Spain.
It is called Bayonnaise Sauce in France and is typically freshly made for a specific dish. The American version you are probably familiar with is mass-produced in the U.S. and is widely marketed under the name mayonnaise.
The original sauce was named after the area surrounding the village of Bayonne where the French say it first originated. That area of the Nouvelle-Acquitaine, nestled along the Atlantic Coast, is largely Basque. The local cuisine has always included abundant sea food as well as beef and plentiful green produce because of the ideal growing conditions.
Bayonnaise is a commonly used sauce in the Nouvelle-Acquitaine region, but has been widely adopted across France.
Similar to what many know as a Tartar Sauce, it primarily is used as a condiment for strong fish or rare beef. But it also is blended with herbs to serve over fresh greens or lightly steamed vegetables. Now well-ingrained in many European, Mediterranean, and North American cuisines. Mayonnaise is used as a condiment for sandwiches, burgers, and hot dogs. It also is the basis for several common American salad dressings such as Green Goddess and Ranch Dressing.
You may find recipes for Avocado Oil Mayonnaise using a kitchen blender. And you certainly can make it in a blender. But if you make it in a blender, it not only takes a lot longer, the outcome is much harder to control. The consistency of the sauce can be wonky. And it has a much stronger likelihood of the oil separating from the egg during the processing.
We have found using an immersion blender is the key to consistency in this sauce. Plus it’s quicker and easier to clean up afterwards if you use an immersion blender.
The versatility of this sauce is astounding. And nothing that comes in a jar tastes remotely like what you can create in your own kitchen.
- Immersion Blender
- Quart Glass Jar or other narrow, deep container
- 1 Egg
- 1 T Apple Cider Vinegar (you can substitute lime or lemon juice)
- 1 C Avocado Oil
- Pour all of the ingredients into a tall container.
- Set the immersion blender on the bottom of the container. Wait to turn it on until after it is at the bottom of the container.
- Blend the mixture with the immersion blender while holding it at the bottom of the mixture. Blend for 10 seconds. Then move the blender up and down in the container until you see the mixture visibly thicken.
- Refrigerate or continue to create a sauce or dressing. For ideas, look at Mimi's Bayonnaise Ranch, Keto Green Goddess, and Keto Tartar Sauce. Dressings and sauces can also be made after the mayonnaise has been refrigerated. It keeps 4 to 5 days in the fridge.
TO MAKE IT THE WAY WE DO
We are an Amazon Affiliate and may make a small commission on sales from our website, at no additional cost to you. Read our full policy here.